On Friday in Western
Civilization we started by I think it was Gavin asking if the Chinese exchange
students could use their translators and Mr. Schick said that we should take a
vote like the Greeks did and step up to talk and stuff like that and it
actually turned into an hour long debate and took up the whole class. Mostly
everybody except for Parker and I and the Chinese students themselves said that
they shouldn’t be able to because they’ve taken English since they were in
Kindergarten. A lot of their arguments
were that it’s open book, but my main point was that all the Saint Margaret’s
kids took Spanish since they were in Kindergarten and they said if they had to
go over to Mexico and take an open book test that was all in Spanish they
couldn’t do it. Then most of them realized that and voted that they should use
them, and they ended up being allowed to! The discussion ended up getting
really heated because people were being selfish about it when I say; you’re not
going to fail if they use their translators. It makes no difference but just
makes it easier for them because they have a hard time with certain stuff. Then,
Harry came up and talked about how he can’t understand some words and it was
really sad, but Daniel also came up and said that they shouldn’t use them
because it was their idea to come here, they weren’t forced to so they should
learn our way. Anyways, I ended up happy that they get to use them and I feel
like I did the good thing!
I agree. You and Parker and Ricky were instrumental in turning the tide. Nice work.
ReplyDelete